When Grace was tiny, I tried to get her attached to a "lovey". I chose a heavy, pink blanket with paisley trim and a stitched ladybug that I had bought when she was about 3 months old. It was adorable; who wouldn't want their child lugging it around? No such luck. She chose her lovey and it was the small, half satin, half minky, lavendar & mint blanket. The same blanket that we had bundled her in only a handful of times while I breastfed her. She had fallen in love long before I tried to encourage something to soothe her other than myself. Minky was "it".
She (Minky) is a voice of reason, she stops any and all tantrums; she's a bedtime pal who soothes Grace to dreamland; she's a nurse by making all "ouchies" stop hurting; she's a best friend who keeps Grace warm and soothed through the night and is the perfect accessory for peek-a-boo. Grace will thrash around her crib at night, like a drunken frat boy, but no matter which side she ends up on she always has beloved Minky in her hand, nuzzled up against her mouth (aka: "Minky Kisses".)
We never leave home without Minky...In fact, while on vacation we forgot her at the hotel while we went to dinner. Although Grace hadn't notice (yet), I was in such a panic that I had left precious Minky behind, so I begged Jeff to head back to the room to grab her. Crisis averted, I was soothed.
I'm petrified of Minky leaving us. What if one day she decides to stay at the park? Or what if she enjoys Mexican food so much that she ends up hanging out on the floor as we leave? The thought, literally, gives me a panic attack! So, planning ahead, in the last year, I've tracked FOUR of these therapeutic blankets. We now have $100 worth of Minky in our house. Each is in the rotation, if one gets puked on, there's a fresh one in her drawer, if that one gets dirty, we still have two more to step in and work their magic. Grace never notices a difference...although on laundry day, when she finds all 4 of them, it's pure heaven.
Minky is a part of our family so of course she deserves a blog post. We couldn't have raised our little one with out her unwavering passion for her work.
Here are some of my favorite Minky moments.


awe! i love her (grace) and minkys not so bad herself. ; )
ReplyDeleteminky heaven <3
ReplyDelete