Dear Mrs. E,Raising children is a challenging task and letting them go is even more difficult. At the beginning of the school year, I was terrified to allow my baby to spend 6 hours away from home, in a "stranger's" care. As her first elementary teacher, I had many hopes and expectations for you.I wished you would be compassionate and caring. That you would nurture my child, love her when she was away from me and be attentive to her needs whether they be a kind word or a pat on the back. And you did.I wished that you would be driven and hardworking. That you would challenge her and hold her to high standards, expecting just enough of her that she learned without feeling overwhelmed, tried without feeling discouraged and was silly without embarrassment. And you did.I didn't know you yet, but I wanted you to be a good listener and bold. That you would be receptive to hearing MY voice and brave enough to tell me all the honest truths about my child, good and not so good. And you did.With no understanding of the school system or transitional kindergarten, I prayed that the teacher in charge you would be loving and giving. That you would be able to give a warm hug if Grace (or I) was having a difficult time and passionate about your job enough to give everything you had, even when you were exhausted and depleted. And you did.You exceeded any and all expectations. You loved Grace and her spirited nature. You gave her the fuel to learn and to begin the foundation of all the years to come. You worked tirelessly, staying in the classroom after hours, making it a safe, engaging, extraordinary place to learn. You spent your own money so the children could continue their education with new and enjoyable challenges. You became, for me, the epitome of what a teacher should be for his/her students. You encouraged joy!Mrs. E, you truly are the reason I felt at peace allowing a part of my heart to walk out my front door and off to class every single day.Thank you isn't enough and it never will be.Most sincerely,Liz~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dearest Mrs. S,
Our little Tyler is a special one, we've always known. For every ounce of spunk, he's equal weight in sensitivity. He's goofy with the wit and humor of a man five times his age, but can be reserved and unsure of himself to a painful level. We began his preschool year very anxious of how he would handle the separation. But, if there was ever a match for him in this world, it's you. Under your watchful and considerate eye, he has flourished. In these past several months, his self confidence has skyrocketed and we owe a lot of that to you. You encouraged him to be himself when he's away from home and to feel safe speaking and involving himself with others. He's made friends, developed skills and learned so much under your care.
As we say goodbye, even though I'm filled with sorrow, I know that you are leaving a piece of yourself with my son. I see in him the unwavering support you've given him, the love, the knowledge and the courage. With me, you leave the strength and ability to trust in others -- to know that my children will be okay out there in the big world because there are teachers like you. Teachers who speak kindness and strength. Teachers who show joy every single time they see your child. Teachers who give their all.
I adore you for adoring my Tyler. If you could see yourself through his eyes, you'd never know a bad day. You mean so much to so many of us.
I wish you every happiness.
Most sincerely,
Liz
Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible - the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family. - Virginia Satir
Friday, May 29, 2015
Thankful for our Teachers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment